Mark Manson is awesome, you guys. I loved his book and I LOVED his recent post on finding life passion. He has a talent to dissect some of the biggest life questions, bring out the top insight and deliver it in a simple but cool way (with some swearing thrown in :)). He is a modern philosopher, no less.
I read quite a bit on life purpose, meaning, finding life passion. I loved Mark’s post because it’s a spot on summary of everything there is on the subject and a great guide to actually doing it, finding your life passion. Key takeaways are below – I prescribe to myself to print out this post and stick it on my inspiration board, then revisit it daily and actually commit to making this happen.
When people say, “What should I do with my life?” or “What is my life purpose?” what they’re actually asking is: “What can I do with my time that is important?”
To start spending your time on things/ people that are important and live a purposeful life, ask yourself these questions, then action the answers:
- What’s your favourite flavor of shit sandwich and does it come with an olive? (no pain, no gain)
- What is true about you today that would make your 8-year-old self cry? (which interests/ passions did you give up for silly reasons)
- What makes you forget to eat and poop? (what gives you flow)
- How can you better embarrass yourself? (openness to failure, rejection, vulnerability, following your fear)
- How are you going to save the world?
- If you absolutely had to leave the house all day, every day, where would you want to go and what would you do?
- If you knew you were going to die one year from today, what would you do and how would you want to be remembered?
What most people don’t understand is that passion is the result of action, not the cause of it.
Pingback: What can I do with my time that is important? | Nomad of the Universe